If you have watched Trump’s actions and reactions during his campaign and after, you probably understand why so many observers think something is mentally wrong with him. Apparently, many psychologists agree. Enough so that three psychologists wrote the President and Vice President a letter expressing their grave concern regarding the mental stability of President-Elect Donald Trump. They believe Trump to have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
According to the APA (American Psychiatric Association), there are 9 criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If an individual has 5 out of the 9 they have a confirmed diagnosis of this illness. Many individuals have “traits” of narcissism but only about 1% of the population has clinical NPD.
Traits of NPD:
1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
3. Believe that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement
6. Is interpersonally exploitative
7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
Does this sound like Donald Trump?
Watch the video below for an excellent description of NPD and how it compares to Trump. Then follow the link to the entire article by Huffington Post.